2018/05/24



Apologies
were received from Tony W, (and from Marion P for late arrival). Those attending were: Martin B, John D, Brian F, Val H, Terry M, Marion P, Clive R, Jane R, and Peter T (Ch)

  1. Minutes of the last meeting, and matters arising.

    The Minutes were approved as a correct record. All matters arising were on the Agenda for this meeting.

  2. The 29th Annual Show , 2018
    • Date confirmed with Shipley College as September 8th
    • General layout   Lucy (S Coll) had said that if we gave up the “normal” ground floor “talks” room, so that wheeled furniture from the room off the hall could be stored there, then we could have that latter room for stalls, for an additional reasonable fee, and she would find a room upstairs for talks.  This would be instead of having stalls on the balcony.  Agreed to defer final decision until we confirm whether talks will happen and how many stalls we will have.
    • Speakers  We were asked to come up with ideas for speakers  on the theme of practical gardening.  If no ideas by mid-June, we would drop talks this time. 
    • Programme for the day will be finalised once we have details of talks.
    • Advance publicity  Peter T had received Saltaire Festival Entry Form which he will fill in.  Clive R will re-start publicity on Facebook and Twitter.  Nearer the day Peter T will inform Radio Leeds Gardening Show, Tony W will sort BCB.
    • Registration sorted
    • Revised Schedule done
    • Trophies  Marion sorting
    • Volunteers Usual appeal to be made
    • Stalls   Brian and Peter will pursue usual stalls
    • CafĂ©  Preparations are in hand.
    • Judges       While he is very happy to do the legwork up to the time of the event, Martin will not be able to attend the Show this year.  He will look for a replacement Lead Judge. (Following the meeting Kate Toch agreed to lead the judging.)
    • Stewards   Marion P will sort as usual.  Clive R willing to continue as one of them.
    • Equipment needs.  As usual, no additional equipment currently needed.
    • Signing and publicity on the day.  Not any problems
    • Floats    Peter T  will sort as is usual
  3. The 30th Organic Show, 2019
    • Idea of asking Graham Porter to be involved before the Show in some event before it, possibly a Gardeners’ Question Time at Cliffe Castle.  Val H will contact Dan about it.
  4. Potato Day update.
    • No remaining spuds after some sold via allotments and Brackenhall, and remainder given to schools which support outdoor classrooms.
    • In 2019 2nd Saturday of February is 9th.  Peter T to book the Hall.
  5. The future of Ryton Gardens
    • No new information.
  6. Cliffe Castle
    • Hot box is being constructed in the winter of 2018/9 by the joiner at the Cellar Trust, and our effort to continue after that.  Aim to involve schools, and / or a simple weekend growing session.  Support for a gardener’s question time event (see above).
  7. Potential visit to Growing with Grace, near Clapham, N. Yorks
    • Accessible by public transport.  Clapham has its own railway station, 1.1 miles from Growing with Grace.
    • Val H will chase up potential dates for a visit
  8. Any other business
    • The Seed Co-operative.  Update as at 13 June.  Money sent. Application form filled in and sent.   They will go to the next Board meeting on 14 June.
    • Soil Association Records  Update as at 13 June.  The West Yorkshire Archive Service consider the records would be usefully housed in the County-wide West Yorkshire History Centre in Wakefield.  Clive R will make arrangements to take them.
    • Privacy Policy  In light of the General Data Protection Regulation 2016 coming into force on 25 May, we agreed the Privacy Policy put forward by Tony W (by email).
  9. Next meeting
    • Tuesday 17 July at 6pm at the Ring o’ Bells, Shipley.  Room has been booked.