3½ Cups of Organic Flour (plain)
1½ Cups of Organic Soft Brown Sugar
1 Cup of Organic Golden Granulated Sugar
2 Medium Organic Free Range Eggs
¼ Cup of Organic Milk
½ Cup of Vegetable Oil
½ Cup (Homemade) Apple Sauce or extra 0.5 Cup of Vegetable Oil
1½ tsp of Salt
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
2 tsp of Cinnamon
1 tsp of Ground Ginger
1 tsp of Ground Nutmeg
1½ Cup of Pumpkin Puree
Preparation time: ¼ hour
Cooking time: ¾hour
Oven temperature: 180°C – Gas mark 4 – Moderate
To make pumpkin puree:
Dice a moist variety of pumpkin/winter squash (i.e. Rouge Vif d’Etampes/Crown Prince) and blend. If using a dryer variety boil/steam first and add water when blending as needed.
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F/180C.
2. Lightly grease 2 1lb loaf tins (9”x5”).
3. Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
4. In a smaller bowl whisk eggs, add in other wet ingredients – mixing in one at a time.
5. Add wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix until fully combined.
6. Divide into the tins.
7. Bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.