Potato Day 2018 – what varieties would you like to buy?

Home Forums WYOG Forums Potato Day Potato Day 2018 – what varieties would you like to buy?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  GrowingNewsome 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

PeterT
    Keymaster

It’s time to order our spuds for Potato Day 2018 on February 10th. If there are any varieties you would like us to order or even ones you would like us to change, please let us know by making a comment in this forum.

The list of spuds we had this year are attached below.

• This topic was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by  PeterT.

spudnik

Robinta please – cracking crop this year.

judyb
    Participant

Pink Gypsy please – not so resistant to slugs as it’s parent Spey, but delicious!

Lilaclele

Charlotte please
    Any chance of any Linda?

CliveR
    Participant

EM10 please. Early maincrop ~ Pink skin and white flesh, high yielding with good taste, it holds its shape very well, and Orghanic seed bred by Skea Organics, Cara x Desiree.

CliveR
    Participant

Suggestions on our Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/WYOGorg-West-Yorks-Organic-Group-322932937751742/ (names removed )are:

• Ratte please, like pink fir but not as knobbly and I would also love to find flourball (an old variety maybe heritage) although I heard that Albert Bartlett had nabbed that too.

• Pink Gypsey was fantastic for me this year would love again!
    • Kestrel did really well for me this year. Would to see more heirloom/heritage varieties too.

• Yes kestrel always performs really well for me too.
    Agree about Kestrel, they were very good for me this year too. I also like Red Duke of York, Sharpe’s Express, Ambo and Wilja. I once grew a heritage variety called Edgecote Purple, a second early, which did so well, but I haven’t been able to find it for a while now.

CliveR
    Participant

I have found Skea Organic’s new website and they don’t appear to be selling EM10. http://potatohouse.co.uk A newcomer to seed potatoes, Leary’s, don’t seem to be selling seed potatoes anymore. I’ve not found a supplier for Ratte or Fllourball yet.

PeterT
    Keymaster

Sorry, am away on holiday then. There is one spud that I grew this season “Carolus”, marketed by Leary’s Organic Seeds.

It is really blight-proof! and produced an excellent harvest of top quality, tasty spuds. I will be growing it again and would definately recommend it. It’s a maincrop and kept growing til September with no sign of blight.

(Posted on behalf of Pennine Botanicals Denholme)

PeterT
    Keymaster

Thanks for all the comments. It’s about time to wrap this up for the year so the order can be placed. Attached is a table summarising varieties which sold badly last year, suggestions received for next year and possible varieties new to us for 2018 together with proposed changes in the last column.

Any final thoughts would be welcome. Last year’s list is attached to the first entry on this forum.

PeterT
    Keymaster

PS. If you want to look at the descriptions of each variety, most are on the Potato Day page of this website. Failing that, Skea varieties can be found at http://potatohouse.co.uk/shop/, while WCF can be found at http://www.wcfhorticulture.co.uk/information/29/first+earlies/

PeterT
    Keymaster

Question: I asked for Colleen ( 1E I think ) to be included. Does anyone know how well it sold last year? It has potentially great breeding characteristics.

In answer: Colleen was “nearly sold out” at 12.35 last year and will definitely be on the list this.

(posted on behalf of Martin and Peter)

PeterT
    Keymaster

Attached is the list of varieties which will be on sale on February 10th at Potato Day. Thanks for the comments. We tried to accommodate your wishes but it was not always possible.

GrowingNewsome
    Participant

Thanks Peter – that’s good for us.

Best wishes,

Diane

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.