Potato Day 2016 – let us know the varieties you would like us to order.

Home Forums WYOG Forums Potato Day Potato Day 2016 – let us know the varieties you would like us to order.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

PeterT
    Keymaster

Hi,

As promised, we are making an early start this year in choosing our varieties for Potato Day. We hope this will give us a better choice of varieties and, maybe, a chance to get a greater proportion of organics.

(1.) The first list below is the varieties we had this year, 2015.
    (2.) The second list is potatoes which didn’t sell well in 2015 (favorites for the chop?) – all non-organic WCF except Valor (Skea).
    (3.) The third is the Skea Organics varieties available this year. See the list attached and for more details, their website at http://www.skea.eu/seed-for-gardeners?___store=uk_store
    (4.) The fourth is the WCF – Horticulture varieties available this year. Generally not organic.

(1.) 2015 Order.

1st Earlies:

Skea organics: MARIS BARD, CASABLANCA, COLLEEN, SHARPE’S EXPRESS.

Skea non-organics: Duke of York, Red Duke of York.

WCF: Rocket, Winston, Lady Christl, Foremost, Homeguard.

2nd Earlies:

Skea organics: CHARLOTTE (3bags), BRITISH QUEEN, MARIS PEER.

Skea non-organics: None.

WCF: Nicola, Kestrel, Apache, Osprey, Vivaldi, Wilja.

Sarpo: Sarpo Una.

Mains:

Skea organics: AMBO, DESIREE (3bags), GOLDEN WONDER, SARPO MIRA, RECORD, SETANTA.

Skea non-organics: Salad Blue, Highland Burgundy Red, Pink Fir Apple, Shetland Black, Valor.

WCF: Maris Piper, King Edward, Picasso, International Kidney, Kerrs Pink, Rooster.

Sarpo: Kifli, Blue Danube, Axona, Sarpo Shona.

That comes to a total of 42 varieties: 13 Skea organics, 7 Skea non-organics, 5 Sarpo, 17 WCF.

(2.) Potatoes which didn’t sell well in 2015 (favorites for the chop?) – all non-organic WCF except Valor (Skea).

1st early: Foremost, Homeguard

2nd early: Wilja

Mains: King Edward, Picasso, Valor.

(3) Skea Organics variety list. Skea are our main suppliers of organic potatoes. See their list attached.

(4) WCF – horticulture variety list. We also buy from WCF but they are generally not organic.

1st E’s – accent, arran pilot, duke of york, epicure, foremost, lady christl, pentland javelin, rocket, sharpe’s express swift, winston

2nd E’s – catriona, divaa, estima, gemson, kestrel, marfona, nadine, spunta, wilja

Salads – international kidney, nicola,

Mains – kerr’s Pink, king edward, majestic, mayan gold, mozart, pentland crown, picasso, stemster, vales sovereign, valor

plus, from Albert Bartlett via wcf – anya, apache, innovator, isle of jura, osprey, rooster, vivaldi, jazzy

So, off you go; let us know what you would like to change from last year. Hope it’s not too complicated.

Peter

TonyW
    Keymaster

I vote for Charlotte and Pink Fir Apple. I also tried Jazzy this year which did very well and is a good all-rounder, shame it’s not organic.

stevekind

Valor are the best maincrop we have ever had in over 30 years growing! Been planting them for 3 years now and they haven’t disappointed once. I’d be gutted if we couldn’t get them at Potato Day and would have to consider getting them elsewhere, which would mean only getting our first earlies in Saltaire.

Hope you won’t ditch them – but I have to be honest and say that we have a small plot and our typical purchase is only 50 first earlies and 40 maincrop.

GrowingNewsome
    Participant

Hello,

Last year’s selection was good for us. We’ve only just started taking requests for 2016 and so far the most popular varieties with our participants are Jazzy, Charlotte and International Kidney – Sarpos and Pink Fir Apples are always popular for us too. From your list of “things that didn’t sell well last time” Homeguard is the one that we’d be sorry to lose, as we’ve had some really good reviews of that.

We will definitely buy:

Charlotte

International Kidney

Jazzy

Kestrel

Kifli

Lady Christl

Pink Fir Apple

Red Duke of York

Sarpo Mira

Sarpo Una

We’re also very likely to buy these if available:

Apache

British Queen

Cara

Desiree

Golden Wonder

Homeguard

Kerr’s Pink

Maris Bard

Maris Peer

Pentland Javelin

Rocket

Rooster

Salad Blue

Shetland Black

Swift

Winston

& a few others

Are you likely to have the Cara this time? We’ve also been asked for Athlete, but I don’t think that’s available from your suppliers.

AnneB

Sorry to see Wilja might be for the chop. I have grown it successfully in the past and was intending to replace Vivaldi with it this year. Last year my Vivaldi crop all succumbed to a nasty case of early blight, I believe they are prone to it. However there look to be some good alternatives if Wilja doesn’t make the cut.

At this stage all the other varieties on my shortlist are there, apart from Belle de Fontenay, which has been recommended to me.

I will probably end up buying Sharpe’s Express, Casablanca or Winston, British Queen, Wilja (or Nicola), Pink Fir Apple and Setanta.

PeterT
    Keymaster

Thanks for all the comments. I’ve tried to incorporate as many as possible bearing in mind the need to replace varieties that didn’t sell well last year.

Proposed changes:

Cara replaces Picasso
    Kerr’s Pink replaces King Edward
    Pentland Javelin replaces Home Guard (not available from Skea or WCF)
    Swift replaces Foremost
    Nadine replaces Wilja
    Linda replaces Valor

Any further comments gratefully received before the final order goes in.

PeterT
    Keymaster

Potato day 2016.

Here is the list of varieties which will be on sale at Potato Day 2016.
    Organically grown varieties shown in capitals. Early main (EM) or Late Main (LM) shown on maincrops where known. All varieties in 25kg sacks unless stated.

1st Earlies:

Skea organics: CASABLANCA, COLLEEN, MARIS BARD.
    WCF: Duke of York, Lady Christl, Pentland Javelin, Red Duke of York, Rocket, Sharpe’s Express, Swift, Winston.

2nd Earlies:

Skea organics: BRITISH QUEEN, CHARLOTTE (3 sacks), MARIS PEER.
    WCF: Jazzy (8x2kg), Kestrel, Nadine, Osprey (8x2kg), Vivaldi (8x2kg).
    Sarpo: Sarpo Una.

Mains:

Skea organics: AMBO (EM), CARA (LM), DESIREE (EM) (3 sacks), GOLDEN WONDER (LM), LINDA (EM), RECORD (EM), SARPO MIRA (LM), SETANTA (LM).
    Skea non-organics: Highland Burgundy Red, Salad Blue, Shetland Black.
    WCF: Apache (EM) (8x2kg); International Kidney (EM); Kerr’s Pink (LM); Maris Piper (EM); (Organic) NICOLA (EM); Pink Fir Apple (LM) (2 sacks?); Rooster (LM) (8x2kg).
    Sarpo: Axona (LM), Blue Danube (EM), Kifli (EM).

That comes to a total of 41 varieties: 14 Skea organics, 3 Skea non-organics, 4 Sarpo, 20 WCF (1 organic).

Anonymous

Anonymous

happy 4th of july images http://happy4thofjulyimages.org/

Anonymous

Anonymous
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.