Potato Day 2015

Home Forums WYOG Forums Potato Day Potato Day 2015

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Brian Ford 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

TonyW
    Keymaster

It’s that time again – forget Christmas – Potato Day 2015 is looming!

What varieties do you want this year?

Were there any you wanted last time but we couldn’t get?

What was your best spud of 2014?

AnneB

Around three years ago I had great success with a heritage variety second early called Edgecote Purple. I have looked for it without success everywhere last year and the year before. It would be great if you could get some of those. The flavour was great, no slug damage and fantastic roasters and bakers.

Best variety for me this year was Sharpe’s Express grown in a barrel at home. My maincrop Cara and Picasso were badly damaged by slugs.

PeterT
    Keymaster

WYOG’s draft varieties list is as follows, a total of 45 varieties, which is more than is usually purchased, so some varieties need to be removed. Please post your comments. Is there anything you would like to add or, particularly, take away?

First Earlies: Arran Pilot, Duke of York, Foremost, Home Guard, Maris Bard, Pentland Javelin, Premiere, Red Duke of York, Rocket, Swift, Sharpe’s Express, Ulster Sceptre, Vales Emerald, Vanessa, Winston.

Second Earlies: Apache, British Queen, Catriona, Estima, Kestrel, Maris Peer, Nadine, Nicola, Sarpo Una, Saxon, Wilja

Salads: Charlotte, International Kidney, Nicola, Pink Fir Apple.

Maincrops: Axona, Blue Danube, Cara, Desiree, Kilfi, King Edward, Maris Piper, Picasso, Purple Majesty, Romano, Rooster, Rudolph, Sarpo Mira, Sarpo Shona, Valor.

(Sarpo varieties included above: Axona, Blue Danube, Kilfi, Mira, Shona, Una.)

TonyW
    Keymaster

Charlotte and Pink Fir Apple definitely – it was great to get such nice Fir Apples this year after them being so rubbish for the previous few.

Red Duke of York always go down well.

What about Mr Little’s Yetholm Gypsy? Any sign of them this year? They’ve always done very well for me.

Brian Ford

OK for me.

JaneR
    Participant

I always like to buy what looks good on the day, so I’m happy with whatever! I do like a good choice if 1st earlies – and there seems to be plenty there. So go with that unless we want to add in those suggested – Yetholme Gypsy and Edgecote Purple (I’ve never even heard of those last ones!) – though if they’re heritage, are they allowed to be sold?

PeterT
    Keymaster

Sorry if this is confusing but the the draft list has been substantially updated to get more organically grown varieties in and to reduce the number of suppliers we order from to save delivery charges. We will be ordering from Skea Organics (both organic and non-organic varieties), WCF and Sarpo but no other suppliers.

1st Earlies:

Skea organics: MARIS BARD, CASABLANCA, COLLEEN, SHARPE’S EXPRESS.

Skea non-organics: Duke of York, Red Duke of York.

WCF: Rocket, Winston, Arran Pilot, Foremost, Homeguard.

2nd Earlies:

Skea organics: CHARLOTTE (3bags), BRITISH QUEEN, MARIS PEER.

Skea non-organics: None.

WCF: Nicola, Kestrel, Apache, Osprey, Vivaldi, Wilja.

Sarpo: Sarpo Una.

Mains:

Skea organics: CARA, DESIREE (3bags), GOLDEN WONDER, SARPO MIRA, RECORD, SETANTA.

Skea non-organics: Salad Blue, Highland Burgundy Red, Pink Fir Apple, Shetland Black, Valor.

WCF: Maris Piper, King Edward, Picasso, International Kidney, Kerrs Pink, Romano.

Sarpo: Kifli, Blue Danube, Axona, Sarpo Shona.

That comes to a total of 42 varieties: 13 Skea organics, 7 Skea non-organics, 5 Sarpo, 17 WCF.

GrowingNewsome
    Participant

Hello,

It’s a good selection for us. So far the most popular requests from our members have been for the Sarpos (especially Sarpo Mira), Charlotte and Red Duke of York – and Pink Fir Apples are always popular for us.

We will definitely buy:

Charlotte
    Pink Fir Apple
    Sarpo Mira
    Sarpo Una

Axona

Kifli

Blue Danube

Home Guard

Maris Bard

Red Duke of York

Rocket

British Queen

Kestrel

Golden Wonder

International Kidney

We’re also likely to buy:

Winston

Nicola

Desiree

Maris Peer

Maris Piper

Salad Blue

Shetland Black

Kerrs Pink

& 7 others

Varieties not on this list that we’ve been asked for are: Pentland Javelin, Rooster, Mayan Gold, Lady Christl and Anya. It’s understandable that you want to order from fewer suppliers though, and we’re happy to see more organic varieties on the list.

PeterT
    Keymaster

Hi Growing Newsome,

If there are any varieties which you want but we are not planning to buy for ourselves, we will order it for you provided you want a full 25kg sack anf it can be supplied by Skea or WCF. Have a look at their websites.

Brian Ford

I can’t wait to see John carrying the surplus home….

judyb
    Participant

Spey is the only slug-resistant maincrop I’ve ever grown. Would be great if you cam get it, but doesn’t seem to be available these days. Has anyone had success with any others?
    Nicola are brilliant as slug-resistant salad potatoes

TonyW
    Keymaster

That seems like a pretty good list

MarionP
    Participant

List looks fine by me.

AnneB

I like the new list as it includes Sharpe’s Express and British Queen. Any possibility of adding Ambo as a maincrop? I have heard good things about it, it is a Cara/Desiree cross. I believe Skea supply it. Sorry I didn’t think of it before. No worries if it is too late.

CliveR
    Participant

I have waxed lyrically about my love of Belle fe Fontenay, (the potato). It is some years since I grew any, and my memory of their superb taste may be a figment of my imagination, so I shall purchase some separately, and grow them so that other members may taste them, to see if they’re worthy of inclusion on the list for 2016 and beyond. Apart from BdF the list looks perfect to me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.