Need more info?

Home Forums WYOG Forums The Show Need more info?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  AnneB 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

TonyW
    Keymaster

If there is anything you are unsure of, or would like more information on, regarding classes – or anything to so with the Show, please post a new topic here.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by  TonyW.

MarionP
    Participant

Just noticed that only 1 potato is needed to be entered cooked – everyone needs to remember it will need to be big enough for several tastings to be made as well as some left for visitors to see/try after the judging!

JaneR
    Participant

It doesn’t say only one to be cooked – I was assuming they’d all need to be… clarification please anyone!
    And another query came to me – someone has Borlotti beans but wasn’t going to cook them – they aren’t runner, they aren’t French – and they’re not mature (ie dry) beans cooked…. More help please!

JaneR
    Participant

Oh no, I’m replying to myself now!
    So having looked again it does only say potato (no ‘s’), Marion, so there may only be one.
    Still want help with the bean question…

PeterT
    Keymaster

If you look at the Organic Gardening Catalogue, admittedly not the bible, it has Barlatta Lingua di Fuaco as “A dual purpose (French) bean for use as fresh pods, demi-sec or dried beans.” I think they can be entered either raw in their pods as French Beans, or cooked as Mature beans.

CliveR
    Participant

I notice the Home Produce schedule has been changed. Class M110 (Pickled fruit(s) is no longer there, but M140 Pickled vegetable(s) remains. M050 Cake: garden vegetable or fruit based remains. The reason I mention class M050 is that you can enter both a vegetable based cake and a fruit based one. It may be that no-one’s submitted any pickled fruits for years so the class was dropped, and now it’s probably too late to re-instate it. I hope it’s back next year.

CliveR
    Participant

Answering my own comment if anyone were to have pickled fruit they could put it in class M120 Fruit(s) not scheduled. I must seem sad that I’ve kept the Show schedule for both 2013 and 2012.

AnneB

I am thinking of entering some produce for the first time this year. Do you have to enter in advance or just turn up with what you have got on the day? If in advance, where can I obtain entry forms? Also is it expected that apart from where it specifically mentions that something is cooked, that all other produce will be raw?

Also is there a ‘usual’ number of items, e.g. onions, leeks, beans per. entry?

Sorry for all the questions.

CliveR
    Participant

Hopefully a committee member will answer in more detai. You turn up on the day, registration is normally from 10am to 11.30am. You can pre-register by email nearer the datte. You will be assigned a number, as all entries are anonymous to the judges. oO the day you tell the registration people your number and give them details of which classes you’re entering. There’s usually a charge of 40p per class (20p concessions).

Is there a usual number of items to enter? See the general instructions on this page (right hand side): http://wyog.org/the-show/ If you click on V100 Onion, there’s a photo of a previous year’s entries. Some entered one onion, others 3, so 1-3 would seem to be the right number. I think the judges only taste one per entrant.

I’ve yet to enter vegetables, but yes, unless it states cooked, enter them raw.

CliveR
    Participant

I do have a query over jams. It’s quite clear to me that Blackcurrant jam goes in class M080, but where would you put Blackcurrant and Chilli Jam, M080 (plum jam) or M100 (other jams)?

CliveR
    Participant

Correction, Blackcurrantjam (not Plum jam) is class M080. The point was that if a jam has an incidental ingredient like chilli or a spice which alters the taste of pure jam, does it go in other jams?

AnneB

I have two questions:
    1) This year I would like to enter some of my crookneck yellow summer squash, but I am not sure which category to enter it in. It is really like a courgette in size, when you harvest it and culinary use, it certainly isn’t like a pumpkin or winter squash, despite having squash in its name. So should I enter it as a courgette in V050, a Pumpkin where it would look very out of place with its competitors (V310) or as a non leaf vegetable not scheduled (V300)?

2) I grow a variety of beetroot (Dobbie’s Purple) that is exceptionally large – I only grow 3 or 4 each year as my entire crop of that variety. I notice that the schedule suggests 3 beetroot are required per entry. Would it be OK for me to enter just the 1 of this type? It really is big enough for anyone who wants a taste to try it and have some left over from 1 alone. If it has to be three, I might put in a different variety, but this one tastes lovely.
    Many thanks in advance for your time,
    Anne

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.