Celeriac

Home Forums WYOG Forums Organic gardening Celeriac

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  PeterT 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

PeterT
    Keymaster

I’m trying to grow celeriac for about the third time and it’s looking like I will fail to get a reasonable crop yet again. I started them in modules last February, moved them out after frost into fairly well composted ground. I’ve tried to keep them watered and mulched particulalrly recently but they just aren’t fattening up. They are also being attacked by slugs.

Any tips would be gratefully received.

TonyW
    Keymaster

Celeriac is very sensitive to cold when they are small so they need a lot of gentle hardening off before they go out. Maybe they got a bit too cold early on and haven’t recovered?

PeterT
    Keymaster

The plants looked very strong when they went in and did not appear to struggle. I vaguely recall some advice about taking leaves off periodically. In fact, I’ve just had a quick look at RHS and Growing Veg and it seems you take off leaves as they drop to horizontal and keep them moist but not overly so. I have either overwatered them or the soil is not rich enough or I’m just being impatient and they will get there eventually. Failing that, I won’t grow them next year!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.